Demystifying The SHEROES Summit 2015 - Women Make Digital India
|Sulekha, Arti, Garima, & Moi|
- SHEROES connects businesses with female talent, creating an eco-system of opportunities, mentorship employment formats and community.
- The theme for this year's summit centered on the role of digital empowerment for women.
- What we as a country have missed out in the last decade or so, we are making up for it through entrepreneurship. Currently India has the most number of entrepreneurs.
- Thanks to digital/social, formats are becoming irrelevant.
- Clues are hidden here and there; it is your job to go find them.
|Vijay Shekhar Sharma|
- India witnessed its last euphoria around 1998-99, when the Internet arrived in our country for the first time.
- With 1 billion smartphone users in India alone, Internet will soon become accessible to all. Companies like Paytm, Uber, Flipkart and Snapdeal see this as a huge business opportunity.
- Tech is crossing multiple industries. Both digital and social are great enablers.
- For Paytm, it was important to know that 200 million people in India had bank accounts. Those were potential customers who could benefit from digital wallet.
- India's middle class has finally arrived. They are young and tech savvy.
- Raising 100 to 150 million in funding depends on three things:
- Whether you are capable or not
- Whether you are sincere to handle investors
- Whether investors have interest in India
- Men work for three things: money, title, and job security. Women also work for the same things but in reverse order.
- Satisfaction of work and acknowledgement are extremely important factors in today's work environment. Go back to what you always wanted to do.
- India should take a leaf from China that has two-thirds of the world's self-made female billionaires.
- 45% of the staff in Alibaba* are women, which is a classic example of gender diversity.[* For the uninitiated, Alibaba is a Chinese e-commerce company popularly known for its business-to-business portal called Alibaba.com that connects Chinese manufacturers with overseas buyers. The portal was founded by Jack Ma in 1999.]
- Customer's prosperity always matter. Always cater to customers who are rich first.
- What you've achieved in life is directly proportional to what size of the problem you have or you're dealing with.
- Get a high-value customer (a.k.a. alpha customer) who drives the customer behavior.
- Always build businesses that you're a customer of. You're part of a crowd.
- Entrepreneurs see the world through the eyes of a customer.
- You are what your situations make you.
- On the audience question of whether to go for seed funding or angel funding: Every category has an investor.
- Believed in 'cashback' instead of 'discounts and loyalty schemes'.
- Raj Kundra: CEO and Founder, Best Deal TV
- Kanika Tekriwal: Founder, JetSetGo
- Jasminder Singh Gulati: Cofounder and CEO, NowFloats
- Smita Mishra: Founder, PoolWallet
|Raj, Kanika, Amrita, Smita, and Jasminder|
- He believes that for change to happen in the society, one has to start at home.
- The TV commerce market is slated to grow in India, and women have a great role to play in this growth. Between now and March 2016, Raj plans to hire 5000 women to handle the operations of Best Deal TV.
- TV can sell anything. TV commerce is about the right demonstration. Celebrity led endorsement is far more credible. An actor will never associate to a brand/product he doesn't believe in.
- 90% of our business is Cash on Delivery (CoD).
- In the next seven months, exclusive products will be available to agents who sign up with Best Deal TV.
- Every new business is trying to become disruptive; that's the new flavor of air.
|Arti, Sulekha, Raj, & Moi|
- You can either convince on value or price but rarely both.
- Design and development go hand in hand.
- In just three text messages, get a website done for your business. Start driving content to your site in the fourth SMS you send.
- Fishermen in Karwar, a Tier 5 city in the South Indian state of Karnataka, use WhatsApp on their phones to send photos of fishes captured by them to nearby restaurants.
- She engages with different forums to assist growth for women in her field and otherwise too.
- Deserving ladies in India not getting the right opportunities.
- When you reach the next level in your career, help those in your periphery to scale.
- Digitization of services is the right kind of empowerment. Example: UrbanClap, a one-stop destination for all urban lifestyle services.
- Contrary to popular belief, do not start with an idea. At the core of your entrepreneurial journey lies a problem that you're trying to solve for your customers.
- Audience for PoolWallet might be literate but not digitally literate.
- On the audience question of what comes first - design or development, Smita said "Need people with whom you can bounce your ideas. Don't outsource the core."
|Sangeeta Murthi Sahgal|
- Sangeeta's presentation was aptly titled "Circumstances and Choices". She spoke about circumstances one does not have any control on.
- You must possess the courage to face the consequences of the choices you make.
- Choices have real consequences.
- Taught by nuns, you're scared of none.
- Calls herself a 'corporate creature'.
- Had to choose between "I will work till the day I die" versus "I want to retire in 5 years".
- It is not about a working day; it is about 'working the day'.
- Taking time off is critical.
- Time to heal is more important than promotions and pay hikes.
- Roll with punches and ride with the wind.
- If you want to make God laugh, share your plans with him.
- When you have parents with degenerative diseases, you're burning the candles at both the ends.
- Understand and adapt, but "I" have to come first.
- Have fun every day as often as you can. There is only one life to live.
- Life is not about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain.
3:00 pm - 3:30 pm
|Neeti, Sulekha, and Moi|
- Live life like someone's left the gate open.
- What is the difference between a male and female comedian? Maybe we look better in shorts.
- Are you letting your inner voice affect you?
- Even today people see stand-up comedy as an 'unusual' career choice.
|Sulekha, Sonam, and Moi|
- As long as there is truth in the moment, there will be beauty.
- People with passion live the most glorious lives.
The SHEROES Summit 2015 was a massive success with 9 speakers, 403 attendees, and 1150+ tweets. I so look forward to the next edition now, and hope that it reaches out to every woman in India with a career question on her mind.