How Costa Taught Me To Fight Disability
The cafe is probably the most beautiful Costa in the capital city. I kid you not. The walls are replete with murals and photo frames.
The interiors are chic and contemporary with full attention to details.
- The cafe was opened to general public in October 2013.
- Apart from being the biggest Costa Coffee in Delhi, it is also the most modern. The space is rented* however. (* The rent goes as high as INR 650000 per month.)
- The cafe operates every day from 10am to 10pm, but the timings can differ from store to store. For instance, the Costa Coffee outlet in Greater Kailash operates from 8am since customers prefer to visit it in the wee hours of the morning.
- Costa has around 60 outlets in Delhi-NCR alone. Business is flourishing even in those localities where other BIG cafes are not doing so well.
- You can expect free WiFi inside every cafe. This facility is only available for the first 30 minutes from the time you connect.
- All Costas play retro music in background, courtesy BIG FM channel. TVs are generally not deployed to avoid distractions.
- The cafe is apt for corporate meetings, kitty parties, birthday bashes, and other social dos.
- All Costas focus on two aspects: perfect ambiance and great customer service. Rakesh believes "Customers should feel at ease no matter what!"
- This particular store employs three managers and eight team members, excluding housekeeping. Among the three managers, one is a cafe manager (Manish Joshi) and two are his assistant managers.
No cafe would survive the test of time if their coffee didn't taste right. That's a given these days!
The Quirky Parizad
While I couldn't refrain from praising the handcrafted coffee Parizad made, it also dawned on me that she wasn't responding to anything I was saying. Rakesh intervened, telling me about her physical condition.
Parizad is unable to hear or speak. But you cannot tell that unless someone specifically mentioned that to you. She oozed so much confidence during the demo and knew exactly what she was doing.
Costa employs one differently abled Customer Service Associate (CSA) in every store. In fact, their Green Park outlet in Delhi is only run by differently abled CSAs, which is fantastic to say the least.